May 27, 2022, 15:00 – 17:00 CEST
In cooperation with ENSA – Ecole Nationale des Sciences Appliquées, (Kenitra)
Automation in Food Production
The agri-food sector is one of the engines of the Moroccan economy. It accounts for about 20% of the Kingdom’s GDP and 20% of its exports. The agriculture and food industry creates jobs and wealth for many people in Morocco. Overall, the agri-food industry contributes about 35% of the industrial GDP.
Jobs in the food industry
The Plan Maroc Vert (“Green Morocco“), which came into force in 2008, has promoted the restructuring of existing sectors (fruits and vegetables, fats, olive oil, citrus fruits), but also the development of new sectors with high export potential (processing of fruits and vegetables, olive and agricultural products, spices and herbs).
According to the National Federation of the Food Industry (Fédération Nationale de l’Agroalimentaire – FENAGRI), with a contribution of about 16% or €14.6 billion, the food industry represents the main outlet of the agricultural sector. The food sector is characterized by SMEs, national and international groups, generating a turnover of nearly €11.5 billion and creating 150,000 direct jobs. In 2020, Moroccan food exports increased year-on-year, by circa 7%, to 3.78 million tons. This increase is largely due to the COVID-19 pandemic, which has generated positive figures for the export of, mainly fish and canned food, contrary to many other sectors.
“In difficult environment food industry must find new ways”
Important factors within the development of the Moroccan food industry are the safeguarding of production levels, as well as the growing internationalization of the sector. In sugar, oil and milk processing, national as well as international groups – such as Danone, Unilever, Avril, Nestlé and Mondelez Food – equipped by modern plants, play an important role.
In a difficult environment, the agricultural and food industry must find new ways. Especially in food production, technologies for automation are of great importance to meet the prescribed quality characteristics and standards. Sustainable and innovative technologies such as solar energy, waste and wastewater recycling, and the use of organic products adapted to demand on international markets play a key role in the outlook for tomorrow’s agri-food industry.
Digitalization is opening up new opportunities
Digitalization in particular is opening up numerous new opportunities for companies in the food industry. These range from improved recording and analysis of raw material qualities to optimized production technologies and individualized food products to end-to-end consumer information.
The implementation of Industry 4.0 technologies for flexible, safe and sustainable food production has arrived in the industry as a priority task for the future. Sensors play an important role in the implementation of Industrie 4.0 as a source of numerous information.
In this seminar, organized by the Comptence Center on Automation (CCoA) in collaboration with ENSA, National School of Applied Sciences of Kenitra and the industry association Fenagri, participants will learn about the enormous importance of digitizing their industry.
15:00 – 15:15 GMT +1
16:00 – 16:16 CEST
Welcome and introduction at ENSA:
Kaoutar Najad, – Project coordinator – Competence Center on Automation (CCoA)
Mr. Hassan MHARZI – Director of studies – ENSA Kénitra
Mr. Hamid Felloun – Director of FENAGRI
The implementation of industry 4.0 technologies for a flexible, safe and sustainable food production
15:30 – 16:00 GMT +1
16:30 – 17:00 CEST
Automation Technologies in Food Production
Gunter Waidelich – Managing Director Ingenieurbüro Waidelich
- Industrial production of food: from the starting product e.g. animal, vegetable, grain, the processing steps to the ready-to-eat end product
- Industrial production of beverages: from the starting product e.g. fruit, vegetables, milk, raw material the processing steps up to the ready-to-drink product.
- Manual vs. automated production: Qualification and workload of the staff, Production and quality reliability with traceability, Raw material losses and media consumption
- Parameters for GMP based on product examples: Production of fruit juices, wine, milk, crisps, sausage, canned vegetables.
- Measuring systems and sensors for parameter measurement: Pressure, temperature, weight, density, conductivity, flow, pH, optical activity, moisture, mixing ratio.
- Meaning layouts and P&ID for automation: Standards and symbols for plant diagrams with interconnection of symbols => P&ID. From P&ID to automation layout
- From plant layout to control and regulation: P&ID as the basis for plant layout, Layout as representation of the production line with higher-level sensor structure for open and closed-loop control.
- Internal machine components Control: Individual machines with internal sensors and control via actuators for the process sequence, Real-time visualisation of sensor parameters for process control with data storage, Traceability for process and product safety
- Interconnection of individual machines to form production lines, signal exchange: Significance of communication between the individual machines by means of signal exchange, Combination of continuous and batch production for line production.
- Human factor Plant operation, maintenance and repair: Qualification, specialisation, working conditions, productivity.
16:05 – 16:35 GMT +1
17:05 – 17:35 CEST
Solutions for boosting productivity across the F&B industry
Dr. Mehmet Şanlıalp – Vertical Industry Manager F&B, CPG, FMCG, Life-Science Factory Automation EMEA – Mitsubishi Electric Europe B.V.
- Who is Mitsubishi Electric
- AI & Robotics
- Smart Factory Solutions & Use Cases
- Quality inspection with Deep Learning technology
16:40 – 17:15 GMT +1
17:40 – 18:15 CEST
Digitalization for the food industry: How Smart Services can increase machine availability and performance
Dr. Marius Grathwohl – VP Digital Products and Transformation
- Introduction MULTIVAC Company Group
- Introduction MULTIVAC Smart Services
- Live Demonstration Smart Services